Steamed Mussels with Tomato and Garlic Broth
|Total Time:||40 mins|
|Prep Time:||5 min|
|Cook Time:||35 min|
- • ¼ cup olive oil
- • 1 onion, chopped fine
- • 6 cloves garlic, minced
- • 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- • 28-ounce can tomatoes in thick puree, drained and chopped
- • ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- • ¼ teaspoon dried red-pepper flakes
- • 4 pounds Thimble Bay Blues Organic Mussels
- • ⅛ teaspoon fresh-ground black pepper
- • Salt to taste
Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is translucent (about 5 minutes). Stir in parsley, tomatoes, thyme, and red-pepper flakes. Simmer, partially covered (reducing heat if necessary) for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add Thimble Bay Blues Organic Mussels to the pot. Cover and bring to a boil, shaking the pot occasionally, just until the mussels open (about 3 minutes). Uncover the pot as necessary to remove the mussels with a slotted spoon as soon as their shells open.
With the remaining broth, stir in the black pepper and salt to taste. Ladle broth over the mussels and serve with the garlic toast (optional).